Liverpool have confirmed that they have reached an agreement for a club-record deal to sign the RB Leipzig midfielder Naby Keita next summer.
The team will pay the £48 million release clause that will allow Keita to join the club as well as an undisclosed premium. The player completed his medical earlier in the week and he will officially join Liverpool on July 1 next year.
Keita, a Guinea international, has said that he is excited about the move but that he will be absolutely committed to RB Leipzig over the coming season. Nonetheless, he said that he would be “an interested [Liverpool] supporter from a distance”.
Liverpool had stopped pursuing the player in July having had two bids rejected. The team were adamant that he wouldn’t be sold this window but Liverpool managed to persuade them. Last season Keita scored 8 goals in 31 appearances.
However, it isn’t all good news for Liverpool as they have had two bids rejected by Monaco for winger Thomas Lemar. They made an initial offer of £55.5 million and then a second offer of around £64.8 million.
It means that the only new arrivals at Anfield this summer are Mohamed Salah, Andy Robertson and Dominic Solanke. Manager Jurgen Klopp has said that he wants to strengthen the squad more this summer after securing qualification for the Champions League group stage.
It isn’t know if Klopp will be targeting any other players or if Liverpool will up their bid for Lemar. However, Monaco has insisted that he isn’t for sale and have also rejected offers from Arsenal.